“Casting Crowns is a contemporary Christian and Christian rock band started in 1999 by youth pastor Mark Hall, who serves as the band’s lead vocalist, as part of a youth group at First Baptist Church in Downtown Daytona Beach, Florida. They later moved to Stockbridge, Georgia, and more members joined. Some members of the band currently work as ministers for Eagle’s Landing First Baptist Church in McDonoug, Georgia. The band has won Grammy and Dove Awards.”
“Christian rock group Casting Crowns began as a student worship band in Daytona Beach, Florida, in 1999. Led by singer, songwriter, and youth pastor Mark Hall, the group initially included guitarists Juan DeVevo and Hector Cervantes, violinist Melodee DeVevo, and drummer Rob Cervantes (a.k.a Chavez). The group relocated to Stockbridge, Georgia, in 2001, adding Chris Huffman on bass, Megan Garrett on keyboards and accordion, and drummer Andy Williams. This augmented version of Casting Crowns released two independent albums on CD, both of which were well received in the Atlanta area. Both independent albums were efforts on the part of Mark Hall and the rest of the group as outreach projects for youth in the area. The group won the GMA regional songwriters competition at Palm Beach Atlantic University, West Palm Beach, Florida, in both the “Best Song” and the “Best Artist” categories in 2004. Although the group was not searching for a record label, one of the group’s albums found its way into the hands of Mark Miller, lead singer for country group Sawyer Brown, who was struck by Casting Crowns’ driving pop/rock style and Hall’s vocal delivery of his hard-hitting but devout songs. Miller signed Casting Crowns to his fledgling Beach Street Records, a division of Reunion Records with distribution by the Provident Label Group, making Casting Crowns the first artist signed to Beach Street Records.
Mark Miller took the group into the studio along with co-producer Steven Curtis Chapman, himself a popular artist on the CCM musical scene. The resulting eponymous album, Casting Crowns, was released in 2003 on the Beach Street imprint. The album quickly made them one of the fastest selling debut artists in Christian music history. The album’s third single, “Voice of Truth”, spent a record-breaking fourteen consecutive weeks at No. 1 beginning in 2003. “Voice of Truth” is also by the trailer and the ending from the movie Facing the Giants. The album was certified platinum in 2005, and in 2011, the group received their first gold certification for a single for the song ‘Who Am I’ from their debut record.
In keeping with The Great Commission, Hall describes their music as a “ministry of discipleship.”
Four members of Casting Crowns currently minister at Eagle’s Landing First Baptist Church in McDonough, Georgia, where they play during the Contemporary Worship service on Sunday mornings. They do the band part-time around their full-time work of mentoring teenagers at the church. They often tour from Thursday to Saturday so that they can be home for church on Sunday morning and Wednesday night.
- Mark Hall – lead vocals and songwriter (1999–present)
- Juan DeVevo – guitar and background vocals (1999–present)
- Chris Huffman – bass and background vocals (2001–present)
- Megan Garrett – piano, keyboards, backing vocals (2001–present)
- Melodee DeVevo – violin, backing vocals, cello (1999–present)
- Brian Scoggin – drums (2009–present)
- Josh Mix – lead guitar and background vocals (2012–present)
- Andy Williams – drums (2001–2009)
- Hector Cervantes – lead guitar and background vocals (1999–2012)
- Lifestories by Mark Hall
- Your Own Jesus by Mark Hall
- The Well by Mark Hall
- Thrive by Mark Hall
- Career sales have exceeded 5 million records.
- Voted CCM Readers’ Choice Awards “Favorite Band”, “Favorite New Artist” and “Favorite Album” in 2005.
- “Lifesong” voted “Inspirational Single of the Year” by online music fans in the 2005 CCMSingles.Net Awards.
- “Praise You in this Storm” was the fifth most played song of 2006 according to R&R magazine.
- “East to West” voted “AC Single of the Year” and “Inspirational Single of the Year” by online music fans in the 2007 CCMSingles.Net Awards.
- Casting Crowns was the most played artist on Christian Radio in 2007, according Radio & Records Weekly charts (12/10).
- Casting Crowns is the second fastest Christian band in history to have their first two albums certified platinum, the fastest being Jars of Clay.”
Information from Wikipedia.